Apply online now. A Union Federal Private Student Loan is a smart way to cover
SunTrust can help finance a college education with flexible options. The sooner you start filling out our simple application the sooner you can relax. We've been helping students like you for years, and we can help you too.
A few simple things to know before you apply.
Multiple Loan Options
Take a moment to consider the best way for you to pay back your loan.
- Immediate Repayment±
- Interest-Only Repayment±,^
- Partial Interest Repayment±,^
- In-School Deferment+,^
- Choose between a fixed or variable rate
What you want, including a graduation present.
Even a small percentage can make a difference in your bank account.
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for consistently making on-time payments3
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for automatic loan payment withdrawal4
- 0.25% interest rate reduction if you make automatic payments from a SunTrust bank account4
- Graduation reward: 1% principle reduction5
In-School Refinance Option
Am I eligible?
A Union Federal Private Student Loan can help pay for books, lab fees, and other expenses. Eligibility requirements for the student:
- Be enrolled at least half-time at a title IV eligible institution in a degree-granting program
- Be the legal age of majority, or at least 17 years of age at the time of application if applying with a cosigner who meets the age of majority requirements in the cosigner's state of residence1
- Have a good credit record, with no student loan defaults or bankruptcies
- Have positive income, or a creditworthy cosigner with positive income
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, unless you are an eligible international student applying with an eligible cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien. The Union Federal Private Student Loan is not available to students or cosigners whose permanent residency state is Iowa or Wisconsin.
Cosigners are great.
If someone with a good credit history is a cosigner, a Union Federal Private Student Loan is more likely to be approved. A cosigner can be an eligible parent, guardian, friend, etc.
Use this checklist to help you prepare to complete the online application process.
- Personal information (name, Social Security number, date of birth)
- Address (mailing address and permanent address)
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- Personal reference (name, address, phone)
- School information (name of school, cost of attendance, grade level, expected graduation date)
- Loan information (amount needed and when)
- Income information for the cosigner or student (on a cosigned loan, income is not required of the student but is of the cosigner; for a student applying on their own, income is required of the student)
- Payoff Documentation (only required for students opting to refinance student loans6) - learn more about the In-School Refinance Option